Thursday, December 6, 2007







Dear Shadrach,

There has been much commotion here, since you and John left. I shall tell you all about it.


Soon after you left, Ma tried to train her body so that she wouldn’t have to drink coffee everyday. She made a big mistake. She got an enormous headache. It was heart-wrenching when she would tell us not to give her any coffee. I understand why Pa sent Jethro to Nancy’s to borrow some coffee. Ma’s all better now but we still remember what it was like.


One day, Jeth went to Newton to buy coffee for Ma, and a few other supplies. He met Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow there. Guy Wortman started criticizing us, just because Bill went to join the Confederacy! I know Jeth was scared, because his face was white, and he was trembling when he told us about it. Jeth stood up to Guy Wortman and defended Bill. I know that I am proud of Jeth, and I’m pretty sure Ma and Pa are, too.


Unfortunately Guy Wortman wasn’t done yet. He burned down the barn. We were devastated. It was extremely difficult watching it burn, and we could do nothing. To make matters worse, Pa had had a heart-attack just days before. Jeth does practically all the work these days. I help a little, but mostly I help Ma with cooking and keeping the house clean. We all miss you so very much. Please write soon,

Jenny Creighton

No comments: